Starting Class Outlines

So I am starting to write up my class on Prostitution in Ancient Rome. This is a work in progress and I would love some feedback on what you would like to see included in this class. Please feel free to post any questions or topics that you would like to see covered in this class.

Yes this is a very rough outline at this point so please just take it as that LOL.


Prostitution in Ancient Rome

Where do we start? At the beginning! We always hear that prostitution is the oldest occupation, so it could be seen as that in Rome. The founding story of Rome is of Remus and Romulus, twins born to a princess and the God Mars. The king of the region was afraid the twins would grow up to overthrow him so he ordered the twins killed. Not wanting to see her sons put to death the princess had them abandoned in a basket near the river. A lupa found the twins and raised them. They went on to found the city of Rome.

Lupa in latin means she wolf. However, it is also a term that is used for prostitutes. So were the twins really raised by wolves? Or a prostitute?

Types of prostitutes found in literature: Remembering that we are missing the womens voice in lit.

Laws regarding prostitution


Not law, but follow me shoe soles



Effect of taxes on economy and why they liked prostitution


Matrons registering as prostitutes

Male vs Female prostitution

Free and citizen vs slavery

Archaeological Evidance

Pompeii vs rest of Rome: Stopped in time while still having the influence of Nero and Caligula. Did not have time to “clean up”

In graffiti

In Art and paintings    

Types of Lupernara


The Long Road of Research

Well it is a very long road I am finding out! Researching 1st century Roman women is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I thought that with all the extant items and records that we have it would be a lot easier than it is.

The problem it seems is that the majority of all written evidence is written by men. There are very few surviving written examples by women. This results in many issues. First, the men’s view is very skewed. Their desires to portray women as the ideal women or an horrible antithesis of that. Second, most often the women were only spoken of when there was a major event. This means that the main women we have evidence of is of influential upper class women. This leave huge holes in the research of the lives of middle class and lower class women. Third, artist rendering appear to also idealize beauty and youth.

So right now, there is little of the art crafting going, but lots of reading.  🙂

A Gift of a Roman Fan

I was so excited for this project. My mentor, Lucretia Marcella, received news that she was being elevated to the position of a Laurel. She has an intense love of peacocks and that inspired me to find how peacock feathers were used in ancient Rome. I found this lovely picture by John William Godward in 1912.

In my research I have not found evidence of use of peacock or ostrich feathers specifically in Rome, however we see many instances of peacocks in mosaics and murals. It can be inferred therefor that the shed feathers would have been used for fans.

A private zoo near me sells shed feathers so I used real peacock and ostrich feathers in the production, however due to cost real gold as would have been used in period and that wasn’t going to be an option. To give the look of real gold I used wood and painted it to appear as gold. I chose this option because it follows with the spirit (using wood which would have been available) of the S.C.A. while being much more cost effective. I used acrylic gold paint and coated it with acrylic sealer for durability. For adhesive I used modern e6000 glue for the large feathers to make sure they were secure and for durability, but for the addition of the small spine feathers for volume I used heated wax to add them in as would have been used in 1st century Rome. I did use a nail to add the dowel to the cornice piece.

Cornice piece purchased at Hobby Lobby

I hollowed the center out to fit the spines of the feathers inside


I removed the small spine feathers from the spines for added volume at the base


I glued in the large feathers and glued the 2 cornices together to create the main wood piece.

I then put wax on the ends of the small spine feathers and inserted them into the spaces in the cornice.

After this I attached the wooden dowel handle and painted it gold. Once that was dried I coated it with polyurethane to add durability.

Here is the finished product!