So as the summer temperatures rise we have to be mindful of our hydration. This is not a new contest and taking from a old Persian recipe we can find that people have been developing ways of maintaining hydration for thousands of years.
We can find a text from ancient Rome about oxmel. This was more often used as a medicinal items and is created by mixing a one-to-one ratio of honey and vinegar and adding usually bitter or unpleasant flavored herbs as a way of making that was being used for its medicinal qualities more palatable.
The continent is the Persian or Arabic term meaning honey vinegar. This is often a time that you will hear in the sca as a wonderful drink as a type of medieval Gatorade. I am not a chemist and I have not done all the research as to why it works the way it does however I have read that something about the vinegar allows your cells to absorb more water. Hydrating your body better. I will do more research in the future and update this post once I do.
Currently I am working on trying a different variety of variations with simple syrup 1 to 1 ratio of sugar and water and honey and varying different types of vinegars that I am using to find my Prime taste. Below are the two different recipes I am currently working with.
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Bring to boil and let slow boil for 10 minutes
Add 1/2 cup vinegar of your choice. ( currently I am trying a pomegranate infused red wine vinegar, a white wine vinegar, and a standard red wine vinegar)
Return to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Add a handful of mint and let simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Mix with water to your taste average ratio is 5 or 10 to 1.
For my followers I will update this in more detail later but I wanted to get this out there because I actually had a person in the non SCA world that I ran into at the tennis courts today asked me for this recipe so I’m updating it quickly today for her use
This is what happens when you leave your laptop on the floor with a bunny running around. He tries to post to your blog.
Persona development may come easy for some, but for me it is a difficult path. I have decided where my passion lies, but in our society of creativity and expanse there are so many shiny things that I want to wear, try, do, be.
I am making an effort to keep my focus. To this effect I have created a Facebook page to share things that are related to my persona, time period, and courtesan work in modern life and historically. I am also making a goal to post here at least once a week. I am in hopes that this will keep me more grounded and working on documenting the research I am working on and the arts I am doing.
Please feel free to comment on how you keep in persona and what you do to keep shiny syndrome from taking over 🙂
And in our learning for today I give you a piece of Domina Lucretia Marcelli smack talk
Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn. Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert
So I haven’t posted in a few days. Darn real life getting in the way. Trying to get things organized and get my business going again so I have been a little light on the A&S. Getting my 10 minutes a day in one way or another, but have been getting very focused on business so that I can have more time to play 😉 Here is the current update from the past few days.
Day 10 (July 23, 2017) Spent a little joyous time at Jo-Ann’s. Got silk thread for hand sewing my next Stola or 2.
Day 11: Cleaning day! More work on cleaning up my A&S area and starting to purge through things I’m not using.
Day 12: Lots of errands today so listened to my History of Rome podcast while on the road.
Day 13: Started sewing my Stola! Got a lot more done than I had expected. This will probably be my go to quick day project for a while.
Day 14: Listened to some of my podcast while working on the business.
So today I played with dying yarn. This was not meant to be a SCA project, but it became one LOL. We did current modern food safe dying using Wilton icing, wool yarn, and a Mason jar. It made it so easy and I was so excited how fun and easy it was that I thought this might make a great children’s activity. Of course I didn’t think to take photos until after the main part of it was done lol.
So we started with this for color
It was really simple. We pre skeined and soaked the yarn. The yarn we used was Bare wool of the Andes from Knitpicks Then we added some color and vinegar and water to the bottom of the mason jar.
Next we put in the presoaked wool. I added some more of a different color on the top then filled with water and a little more vinegar.
Put on the top and let sit in the sun!
Yes that easy.
I left it like this for about 7 hours.
Then open up the jar and dump out the remaining water and rinse in a bucket of clean water.
Hang to dry. This is my result.
Yes that easy and that beautiful! What kid wouldn’t want to take that home! Heck what mom or dad wouldn’t want to take that home!
So today’s topic of research was finding evidence of peacock feathers in fans. I found this research in a book called The World of Ancient Rome: A Daily Life Encyclopedia by James W. Ermatinger Page 290. In this same section I found information saying that umbrellas were also very similar to modern ones in that they could go up and down.
Thanks for stopping by. This will be my space to show what I’m doing on my research and practices in Roman Arts and Sciences. If you have questions please let me know! I probably won’t know the answers, but I will definitely check into them 🙂