So I haven’t posted in a few days. Darn real life getting in the way. Trying to get things organized and get my business going again so I have been a little light on the A&S. Getting my 10 minutes a day in one way or another, but have been getting very focused on business so that I can have more time to play 😉 Here is the current update from the past few days.
Day 10 (July 23, 2017) Spent a little joyous time at Jo-Ann’s. Got silk thread for hand sewing my next Stola or 2.
Day 11: Cleaning day! More work on cleaning up my A&S area and starting to purge through things I’m not using.
Day 12: Lots of errands today so listened to my History of Rome podcast while on the road.
Day 13: Started sewing my Stola! Got a lot more done than I had expected. This will probably be my go to quick day project for a while.
Day 14: Listened to some of my podcast while working on the business.
So today I played with dying yarn. This was not meant to be a SCA project, but it became one LOL. We did current modern food safe dying using Wilton icing, wool yarn, and a Mason jar. It made it so easy and I was so excited how fun and easy it was that I thought this might make a great children’s activity. Of course I didn’t think to take photos until after the main part of it was done lol.
So we started with this for color
It was really simple. We pre skeined and soaked the yarn. The yarn we used was Bare wool of the Andes from Knitpicks Then we added some color and vinegar and water to the bottom of the mason jar.
Next we put in the presoaked wool. I added some more of a different color on the top then filled with water and a little more vinegar.
Put on the top and let sit in the sun!
Yes that easy.
I left it like this for about 7 hours.
Then open up the jar and dump out the remaining water and rinse in a bucket of clean water.
Hang to dry. This is my result.
Yes that easy and that beautiful! What kid wouldn’t want to take that home! Heck what mom or dad wouldn’t want to take that home!
So today’s topic of research was finding evidence of peacock feathers in fans. I found this research in a book called The World of Ancient Rome: A Daily Life Encyclopedia by James W. Ermatinger Page 290. In this same section I found information saying that umbrellas were also very similar to modern ones in that they could go up and down.
I was so excited for this project. My mentor, Lucretia Marcella, received news that she was being elevated to the position of a Laurel. She has an intense love of peacocks and that inspired me to find how peacock feathers were used in ancient Rome. I found this lovely picture by John William Godward in 1912.
In my research I have not found evidence of use of peacock or ostrich feathers specifically in Rome, however we see many instances of peacocks in mosaics and murals. It can be inferred therefor that the shed feathers would have been used for fans.
A private zoo near me sells shed feathers so I used real peacock and ostrich feathers in the production, however due to cost real gold as would have been used in period and that wasn’t going to be an option. To give the look of real gold I used wood and painted it to appear as gold. I chose this option because it follows with the spirit (using wood which would have been available) of the S.C.A. while being much more cost effective. I used acrylic gold paint and coated it with acrylic sealer for durability. For adhesive I used modern e6000 glue for the large feathers to make sure they were secure and for durability, but for the addition of the small spine feathers for volume I used heated wax to add them in as would have been used in 1st century Rome. I did use a nail to add the dowel to the cornice piece.
Cornice piece purchased at Hobby Lobby
I hollowed the center out to fit the spines of the feathers inside
I removed the small spine feathers from the spines for added volume at the base
I glued in the large feathers and glued the 2 cornices together to create the main wood piece.
I then put wax on the ends of the small spine feathers and inserted them into the spaces in the cornice.
After this I attached the wooden dowel handle and painted it gold. Once that was dried I coated it with polyurethane to add durability.
Here is the finished product!
Thanks for stopping by. This will be my space to show what I’m doing on my research and practices in Roman Arts and Sciences. If you have questions please let me know! I probably won’t know the answers, but I will definitely check into them 🙂